Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Injections

Wow, I need to remember to blog, especially because I feel like I know what I'm doing now so Clinic is more interesting and more exciting.  However, my post today is not about Clinic.  It's about local anesthesia.  So the last 2 Fridays we have given each other injections.  2 Fridays ago we gave and received 4 maxillary injections (PSA, MSA, Greater Palatine, and Nasopalatine).  Sam and I were partners and I have to say that I think we did a pretty good job.  I have to be honest I have never been a fan of needles and last semester I didn't know if I would have the courage to actually give an injection, but oddly enough I loved giving the injections.  I was excited for the next Friday to come so I could do it again. 
Well, a week passed and it was Friday again.  Last Friday we gave 3 mandibular injections (IA, long buccal, and mental).  I was amazed at how well the landmarks in the mouth help to find the correct injection site.  It was nice to have more confidence while giving the injections.  I thought it was kind of crazy how far in the needle goes to give an IA, but the more I think of the anatomy of the mandible the more sense it made.  One of the most important things I learned that day was if you want to make sure you're going to get numb you should have Sam give you your injection because I was numb for a good 3 hours.  Next week is nitrous, which I'm not too excited for, but the week after that we get to numb half a mouth.  Then we get to start numbing our patients.  Wahoo!

1 comment:

  1. It was a really fun lab, I'm glad you did so well. It gave me more confidence to give LA, I honestly never thought it would end up being so easy to give and screw up Yikes!

    ReplyDelete