Friday, October 21, 2011

The Jackhammer

That's right I'm going to invent a new dental tool and it will be called The Jackhammer.  The Jackhammer will be a mini version of the real thing because while working on my morning patient on Tuesday I didn't know if some of those pieces of calculus would even come off.  Thankfully Dr. Hanson has more muscle than me and was able to crank the 2 pieces I couldn't get off off after a few minutes.  My morning patient was my mockboard patient last week and I'm happy to report that I did much better on her this time around than last week.  I really tried working on the tip that Pro. Alexander gave me and they worked.  I worked on adapting more and getting that last good twist in.  I also got to give my patient injections!  I was so excited and yet so nervous at the same time, but as soon as I got the needle in my patient's mouth it was pure excitement.  I can't wait for her to come back next Tuesday so I can give her more injections and so I can totally rock on cleaning her mouth (her last quad - finally!). 

My afternoon patient was perfect board potential.  As Dr. Hanson said in pod wrap, "it was mouthwatering" good.  However my patient doesn't know if he wants to wait until March to get the other half of his mouth cleaned, which I don't blame him.  March is a long ways away.  I told him I would call him in a few days to see what he decided.  I was a little overzealous though in doing 2 quads when he was a new patient.  Let's just say I missed a few too many areas, which hopefully won't happen again.  I think I need to see an easy 1B or class 5 to boost my spirits.  Ha ha.  Well, look forward to next week's post because I am seeing two class 3's next Tuesday. 

I have to add this into my blog so that I don't forget Marianne's wonderful comment during pod wrap.  Instructor Wold asked Marianne if she wanted to share what happened to her today.  Then Marianne said, "Which thing do you want me to share?  Because I have done so many stupid things that it's hard to keep them all straight."  I couldn't agree more with her comment.  I feel like I'm doing a good job and then all of a sudden I've done something dumb.  I guess that's why we get so much practice right?

4 comments:

  1. WAAHOOO I'm FAMOUS! I got quoted on your blog, wow, what an honor. :) I think the mini-Jackhammer will be sweet and then you can buy your Island somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will invest in the mini-jackhammer. Just make sure it is small enough to go interproximal. Especially those darned mesial linguals! I had a hard 1B. That made my spirits go down! Darn those braces patients! Wink, wink! ;P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! You did amazing on this day and learned alot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marianne's comment makes me miss my old clinic gals! I'm glad you girls are getting some laughs and learning a lot! Kudos on giving injections! Its so fun, huh!

    ReplyDelete