Saturday, January 7, 2012

1st Screening at James Madison Elementary

Yesterday was the first screening I got to be a part of and I really had a good time.  It was a lot of fun to talk to all of the kids.  It was very interesting to me what kind of dental education the kids were getting at home.  Some kids were doing exactly what they should be and some of them didn't know they should be brushing twice a day.  It was nice to know that even though the kids only spent about 5 minutes with us that we were able to at least talk to them about brushing twice a day and show them how to do it so they have at least been exposed to it.  I also had an experience with one of the students while doing the head and neck exam.  While examining his neck I felt a bump by his spine that didn't feel right.  Bossenberger comfirmed that he should be seen by one of the Midtown doctors.  I hope that it isn't anything, but I'm glad that I have been given the skills to notice when something just isn't quite right.  Having that experience also reminded me just how important a head and neck exam is.  When I get into private practice I do not want that to be something that gets "thrown out the window" in order to save time because I may be the first one to find something wrong with a patient and potentially save their life.

So, moral of the story... ALWAYS do a good head and neck exam.

1 comment:

  1. Your awesome girl! Great find! I've found something like that at the VA too. It's definitely scary but very good that you are being so efficient! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete