Wednesday, February 15, 2012

A Good Learning Experience

Yesterday at the VA I had a wonderful experience with a patient who had Parkinson's disease.  I have to admit that I was a little worried when I saw on my patient's health history that he had Parkinson's because I didn't want to mess up or do something wrong.  My patient came back with me in his remote controlled wheelchair (it was sweet!) and he was able to get himself into the dental chair.  Once we started talking I realized what a nice person he was and I decided that I would be able to handle the appointment without too much anxiety.  During the appointment he sat with his hands on top of the arm rests to help control his shaking and sometimes I would have to hurry and move my instruments so that I didn't poke him when he would move.  He had moderate to severe xerostomia and we took periodic breaks so he could have a little cup of water to drink.  I also had a good OH discussion with him.  He said that he bought a power toothbrush to help him brush better and he likes the bigger handle.  He said that he does his best to floss, especially the areas where food gets stuck.  He was happy to get more Biotene too.  He was such a great patient.  I really enjoyed getting to know him and getting to practice some of the things that we had discussed Monday in class. 

1 comment:

  1. That is so awesome!!! I have to admit that I didn't think I would really see a Parkinson's pt but I am excited that you did. It sounds like he was really compliant and grateful for the service.

    ReplyDelete