Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Patient Swap

Have you ever seen the show Wife Swap?  Well, today Kristie and I did Patient Swap.  We had already started cleaning a couple's teeth.  I had previously done the husband and Kristie had previously done the wife.  Well, we each needed the other person's classification so we swapped patients today to help each other out.  I am so grateful I have such good friends who are willing to help me out.  Those of you who remember the lady who told Kristie, "I don't need some 20 something year old telling me how to brush my teeth," well, she was my patient today.  She definitely has a strong opinion about what is to be done, but a very nice lady.  I was able to finish her up today and have my first real experience with a patient who does not want to be given any education or pointers, did not want fluoride (because the insurance companies won't pay for it because fluoride doesn't work), and who told me she didn't like the blue boa or suction and that she would just rather swallow the water (and junk in it) while I used the ultrasonic.  Ha ha.  It was quite the day and I really did enjoy it.  Even though I was frustrated that she wouldn't listen to my sincere suggestions I still felt like it was a good experience at learning to let a patient choose what they think is best for themselves to be autonomous.  Since I finished her up early my wonderful mom came in and I passed off my Intraoral Camera PE on her.  I wanted to do that PE on her because of her mandibular tori to let her get a good look at them.  After I showed her the pictures she said that she isn't sure she wanted to see them because she thought they looked "so gross."  Ha ha.  I told her how they are considered "normal" because so many people have them and that they are not a big deal as long as they do not start growing again or if she needs dentures (which she is no where close to).  I'm pretty sure she is still not convinced. 

Goal:  Continue to work on being as productive as possible (like having my mom come in today after my other patient so I can be getting as much done as possible).

No comments:

Post a Comment