Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Busy Afternoon

I had a pretty slow morning yesterday thanks to the fact that some setting on the scan-x machine was not correct and I had to retake my 6 x-rays using conventional.  (I later learned that the reason my x-rays were so dark was because some setting was changed to pano and not intraoral.  I didn't even know the settings could be changed, but I do now and hopefully won't ever let that happen again.)  Anyways, after redoing the x-rays we discovered my patient had an area of concern and most of the rest of the morning was spent addressing that.  I am so grateful to have such great teachers to consult with about issues so that I can know how to handle issues with patients when I am on my own.  Mr. Solomon was so nice to help talk to my patient about everything.  We only made it through the OD and then it was time for her to go.  I only had one opening to reschedule her and the day didn't work for her, so I came up with this crazy idea to do her after I saw my dad in the afternoon.  Let's just say that I was semi freaking out at lunch thinking about cleaning my dad and her and getting everything done in time. 

If you placed a bet on whether or not the afternoon went fantastic or a complete disaster I hope you picked it went fantastic because it really was fantastic.  My amazing dad came in this afternoon because I originally couldn't find a patient for the afternoon and he agreed to let me pass off some PE's on him.  I did blood glucose, diagnodent, and nitrous.  (The nitrous didn't take any convincing though because he loves it - so anyone looking to pass off nitrous he is your man.)  I also cleaned all four quads on him, and had him out the door at 1:50.  I then cleaned up, reset up, and brought my morning patient back and cleaned her four quads and was done at 3:15!  After a day like today I feel like I will be able to make it in a real office.  I learned a lot about time management today.  I made sure that I had everything out and ready to go so that I wouldn't waste time looking around for something I forgot.  I also reviewed everything with other girls and in my head to make sure that I knew what I was doing to complete the PE's quickly and effectively.  I also feel more confident when I'm not worrying about if I forgot anything, which helped me to get through the appointments on time.  I sure hope next Tuesday goes this well.  :)

1 comment:

  1. Wow McCall, what a cool day! You got a lot done.

    ReplyDelete