Wednesday, November 16, 2011

No Voice = Difficulty Doing OHI

So, being a hygienist with practically no voice is harder than I thought it would be.  I had two 1A patients in the morning and I could tell they were having a hard time understanding me, so I tried the best I could to speak to them without my mask on so that they would know what I was saying.  I felt like I didn't give as adequate OHI as I would have had I not lost my voice.  However I guess in the real world if you lose your voice you can't just not show up to work, you just do the best you can. 

My first child patient was super clean.  He told me that he brushes morning and night and that he only (only?I'm thrilled when someone flosses at least 3 to 4 times a week) flosses once a day in the morning because he is too tired to floss at night.  I told him that I thought it was fantastic that he brushes 2x a day and flosses 1x a day.  I encouraged him to continue.  What's even better is that I actually think he does brush 2x a day and that he does floss some of the time because his tissues looked good and he hardly had any calculus and just a small amount of plaque.  My afternoon child patient was almost the complete opposite of my morning patient.  She hardly brushed and never flosses and boy did it show.  I showed her the plaque I was getting out of her mouth and she thought it was disgusting and seemed a little more motivated to at least brush 2x a day.  I also didn't know kids could have the kind of sheet calculus she did.  It was crazy.  I feel like we, as dental hygienists and dentists, need to launch some huge, wonderful program for parents and kids (especially parents) about oral hygiene because if parents don't know how to help their kids the problem never changes.  So when I figure out a way to change the world I will let you all know.

1 comment:

  1. I am totally with you on the teaching parent's thing and changing the world!! Count me in sista!
    Good job on working with no voice too! That really would be tough! You are a wonderful hygienist for feeling bad about not giving enough OHI!!

    ReplyDelete