Friday, November 4, 2011

Make Up Day

Yesterday I finally made up my clinic day from a while ago when I had a migraine.  My morning patient was an easy class 5.  Alexander and I worked to suggest dry mouth products for her to try.  Her tissues are extremely sensitive so I didn't even use the prophy paste on her.  I used her own toothpaste that she brought to polish her.  I was reminded by this patient that every patient needs to be treated individually.  Every patient deserves to get the best care, which includes being knowledgeable about different products and conditions.

My afternoon patient was a new patient and had x-rays back in May so I did not take new films.  My patient told me that he was seeing one of the Midtown doctors.  So while Dr. Hanson did the OD I went to get his x-rays.  When I came back Dr. Hanson had set out everything I would need to give maxillary and mandibular injections.  I was someone shaken up to see all of that stuff out, not because I am scared to give injections, but because I was not prepared for it.  It ended up being a good experience, mostly for me and not really for my patient.  While doing the IA I hit his bone twice.  After hitting it the second time I withdrew and asked Dr. Hanson to give the injection.  So she sat down and then she hit his bone.  We determined that my patient had some very different anatomy because that needle wouldn't go in very far, so Dr. Hanson got the needle in as far as she could and gave him the injection.  He stayed numb for his appointment so I would say it was a success.  After this experience today I realized that I need to be constantly reviewing how to give an injection so that I always feel confident and prepared even if I am surprised that my patient needs anesthesia like I was today.  I also worked really hard at keeping the instrument against the tooth, going toward the toe, and twisting.  I think that my efforts were a success!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment