Saturday, October 9, 2010

Posterior Scaling, It's Actually Not too Bad

Like my post title says, posterior scaling really was not too bad.  I thought it was going to be much harder than it actually was.  We got to practice on our typodonts first, as usual, and I did not feel like I was getting it.  Lauren was trying to help me out but it seemed like there was a block between my brain and fingers.  Then I was nervous to actually work on Madi, but once I started working on her it was like the block between my brain and fingers disappeared.  I think my brain really kicks it into gear when I have a real patient in the chair.  I felt really good about going from the mesial of one tooth to the distal of another without having to pull the instrument away from the tooth and move it.  By the end of practicing I felt very good about moving from tooth to tooth.  Madi was really good to practice posteriors on because she still has her wisdom teeth so I really got to experiment with the best way to get to the back of her mouth.  Sometime it seems like you will never be able to reach to the back of someone's mouth and then, all of a sudden, you find the right position and everything magically works. 
I love seeing how what we learn builds everytime we go to clinic.  At first we all had a hard time learning chair positions and now it almost feels like second nature.  Well, to anyone who is reading this have a great weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Modules on Friday night and blogging on Saturday night? Really McCall, get a life! (TOTALLY 100% joking, because you have a way cooler life than me guaranteed. I'm hoping to clean my bathrooms soon, so that tells you how cool I am.) Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete